Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Healthy(er) Chicken Fried Rice with "Chow Mein"

I love getting chow mein AND fried rice at my many hungover visits to Panda Express. I had some left-over, pre-cooked, extra thin rice noodles (from A-Grocery, the awesome Asian market on Sunset + Laveta) and I wanted to use them so they wouldn't go to waste. So, I figured, why not try to fry em up into chow mein or worst case scenario, crunchy noodles. Combining them with chicken fried rice was a no-brainer, since I probably wouldn't mess that part up, and we could potentially completely recreate my entire fried Chinese hangover dream. Plus, making it at home gives me the option of using brown rice instead of white, high-fiber rice noodles instead of nutritionally-void ramen, and olive oil instead of... God knows what. See recipe below.

Ingredients:

Chicken Fried Rice:
4 oz chicken breast tenderloins
1/4 cup green onion
1/4 red onion
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 egg
olive oil
soy sauce
black pepper

"Chow Mein":
3/4 cup cooked thin rice noodles
1 tbsp butter

Beat egg in a bowl, cook in skillet with a bit of olive oil to prevent sticking. Allow egg to cook through without scrambling or flipping. Once egg is cooked, shred and place aside.

In skillet, combine chicken and onions (and a touch of olive oil). Shred chicken as it cooks.

In separate skillet, combine cooked, thin rice noodles and butter. Cook over high heat to fry the noodles. If some get a bit crispy, it's okay. I think they taste good that way!

After chicken is cooked, add the brown rice. Add soy sauce and black pepper to taste. Then, add the egg into the stir fry.

Once the rice noodles are fried up, you can add them into the fried rice mixture, or serve them on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment